Fantasy Hockey Lives Despite Lockout: 2012-13 OHL Fantasy Box Pool
By Brendan Ross (@RossyYoungblood)
The dark clouds continue to cast an ugly shadow on the National Hockey League as the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) is set to expire on September 15th, at which point the NHL will officially “lockout” for the second time in the past decade. The work stoppage will certainly impact hockey fans across the globe as passionate followers of the game search desperately for alternative avenues to satisfy their hockey fix. One area that will surely be hit hard with an NHL lockout is the fantasy hockey world. Without actual NHL game play, “poolies” will find loads of extra time on their hands that would normally be spent watching the waiver wire, constructing trade offers and tinkering with daily lineups – all significant aspects of fantasy hockey success.
Photo courtesy of Claus Andersen / Getty Images
Well, it is not all doom and gloom people. Fortunately, in North America we are blessed with countless competitive hockey leagues that provide outstanding entertainment value at the fraction of the price of NHL games. Specifically, the Canadian Hockey League, the NHL’s top development league, features hundreds of talented hockey players, some of which will become future NHL stars and members of your fantasy squads.
In an attempt to ease the pain of potentially losing your upcoming fantasy hockey season, The Hockey Guys are here to offer a fantastic alternative – 2012/13 OHL Box Pool. THG’s Prospect Writer, Brendan Ross, has developed an easy to follow box pool for the upcoming Ontario Hockey League season. Featuring 20 member clubs, the OHL ices several top NHL prospects including Alex Galchenyuk (Canadiens), Radek Faksa (Stars), Brandon Saad (Blackhawks), Ryan Strome (Islanders), Mark Scheifele (Jets), Tyler Biggs (Maple Leafs), Dougie Hamilton (Bruins), Ryan Murphy (Hurricanes), Cody Ceci (Senators), Matt Finn (Maple Leafs), Malcolm Subban (Bruins), John Gibson (Ducks) and many, many, many more great players. The opportunity to join this simple pool allows you to increase your knowledge of these outstanding players and appreciate the entertainment value that the OHL has to offer in a city near you.
As a bonus, if you choose to join, you will be competing against several OHL personnel including prospect experts, media personalities and scouts. Of note, The Hockey Guys’ own Todd Cordell, Brian Huddle (THG, Future Considerations), and Brendan Ross (THG, DobberProspects, TheHockeyWriters, OHL Writers) as well as, Matt Moran (OHL Central Scouting), Victor Carneiro (OHL Scout), Steve Fitzsimmons (Guelph Storm Radio, HockeyProspect Contributor), John Matisz (Metro London Reporter, Author of Draft Year: Brendan Gaunce) and Tom Gibson (Sarnia Sting Radio, Blackburn Radio Sports Director) are among a few of this year’s participants.
OHL Box Pool Details/Rules
Download 2012 OHL Box Pool (PDF)
- Email OHLBoxPool@gmail.com with your interest. The OHL Box Pool will operate on a first come, first served basis until a maximum of 25 participants are filled. Deadline: September 18th, 2012 @11:59pm.
- In your email, place “TEAMNAME PICKS” in the Subject Line (For Example, RossyYoungblood’s Picks), and submit your picks in the context of the email.
- Please pick ONE (1) player from each box in all 25 total boxes. For example…Radek Faksa (Elite 1), Nick Cousins (Elite 2), Daniel Catenacci (Elite 3)…and so on and so on….until every box has one player/goaltender picked.
- REMEMBER, you must select one player from each box so you should have a total of 25 OHL players picked.
- Players (including goaltenders): Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1 point
- Goalies: Win = 1 point, Shutout = +2 Points (3 Total)
- All Scoring per www.OntarioHockeyLeague.com
- TIEBREAKER: Submit the OHL team you feel will win the 2012-13 OHL Championship.
- Once you have submitted your player picks (25 in total), you don’t have to do any in-season work except watch your team put up points.
- Pick players at your own risk as injuries and departures to NHL/AHL could happen and there are no substitutions or changes permitted during the season.
- Updates to the standings will occur monthly via email. Please check calculations and inform Brendan if you notice a mistake (they do happen).
- Please forward all questions to OHLBoxPool@gmail.com. Good luck and thank you for participating!
The 2012-13 Ontario Hockey League seasons commences on September 20th, 2012!
- Download OHL BOX POOL SHEET
- Email the following information to OHLBoxPool@gmail.com: Name, Email, TEAM NAME, 25 Picks + Tie Breaker (OHL Champion)
- Double-check that you have made all your picks and submitted your tie-breaker answer.
- Cheer on your favourite OHL players and have fun doing so!